IE6ify Bookmarklet

Posted on June 26, 2009

Today I created yet another utterly useless (but hopefully mildly entertaining) application; IE6ify.

It’s a bookmarklet that brings the joy of browsing the web with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 to modern browsers. For almost a decade IE6 has managed to intrigue me by breaking standards-compliant websites in the most unpredictable ways. Whatever you did to fix a problem only made things worst, like an ugly dragon that grows two heads every time you cut one off.

Since it’s not possible to run IE6 natively on Windows Vista or 7 and IE6 in Linux Wine is a nightmare, I figured a lot of you would miss the old days. With IE6ify you can break any website in true IE6 fashion.

Website: elbertf.com/ie6ify.

Scroll to top

Comments (9)

• Interesting.. it doesn't seem to work though :-P at least that is if IEtester and Adobe Browserlab show the true IE6 view.. or am I missing the point here?

Posted by MrJoax on July 07, 2009 Reply

• The hint is in “utterly useless but hopefully mildly entertaining,” it's a joke.

Posted by ElbertF on July 07, 2009 Reply

Posted by ElbertF on July 07, 2009 Reply

• haha, oke.. :-P it's does properly demolish my website ^_^

Posted by MrJoax on July 07, 2009 Reply

Posted by MrJoax on July 07, 2009 Reply

Posted by ElbertF on July 07, 2009 Reply

• haha, oke.. :-P it's does properly demolish my website ^_^

Posted by MrJoax on July 07, 2009 Reply

• I've tweaked your code to make the IE6ifying process more “convenient” ;-)
    Now it's automatic after you paste it in the address bar and hit it the first time.

javascript:setInterval(function(){var i=0,r=function(n){return Math.floor(Math.random()*n)},f=document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].getElementsByTagName('*'),o=function(e){return typeof(e.style)=='object'&&e.tagName!='SCRIPT'},s=function(){while(!o(e=f[r(f.length)])){}return e.style};while(i++<5){s().display=r(2)?'block':'inline';s().position=r(2)?'absolute':'relative';s().margin=r(2)?'0':'1em';s().padding=r(2)?'0':'1em';s().width=r(2)?'':'auto';}},400);

Posted by LMAO on February 02, 2010 Reply

• I think this script would hang if the page only has OBJECT tags, you may want to limit the number of times it randomly tries to find a tag to break.

Posted by me on October 28, 2010 Reply